Sparkle Boat

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

So, you're thinking about an MFA...

...and you're wondering whether or not to go for it? It's a good question, and one worth asking. I have just finished the first year of a two-year MFA program, and during this summer of writing, I have a lot of time to evaluate what I've gotten out of it, and how far I've come as a writer. Since my revision is actually moving along today and I feel a sense of self-confidence, my opinion of the enterprise is very positive right now. Actually, even in my darkest moments, I still feel like this educational adventure is paying huge dividends. More than anything, I am gaining a supportive, intelligent and critical group of writer-friends, which is aiding me in my progress. I do feel like it can speed up the progress of a writer, helping her to find her voice or to become aware of common, habitual and fatal literary mistakes. It's commonly repeated that the most productive years for an MFA are the 3-5 years post-degree, which I think is probably the case. There are the anomalies who publish while in a program, but I think it takes a few years of steeping in this advice and just endlessly practicing and reading before something really polished comes out. Also, age is a factor. I'm relatively young, and I think that if you've been writing for ten years already (as opposed to just two or three) that that will make a huge difference in your level. I often feel like a snake whose skin is too big for my body--I am growing, but I haven't filled out yet. Age and experience will help with that aspect, I think.

The page to get you started would be the Associated Writing Programs page, which has a lot of helpful information. They also publish a book about writing programs--a directory of sorts--every few years. If you're serious about this, it would be worth the investment. One final comment: Don't go into major debt to do this. If you're good, you should be able to get *something* from a program--either a stipend, or a teaching assistantship--something. If you can't, keep looking at programs that are affordable or will offer you something. And another thing: If you get rejected year in, year out, no matter how many places you've applied, I'm not gonna say give up, but take a few years to live your life, read a lot, and then re-evaluate your writing--get an opinion from someone outside your circle of friends and associates. MFA programs aren't looking for polished writers--they're looking for people with the potential to produce polished work--but until they see that, they probably won't take a chance on you. Either way, keep writing--if it brings you joy, you should do it, no matter what, and you never know what will come of it... Good luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home