Sparkle Boat

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Still Life of Husband With Beer


Jason with Forst
Originally uploaded by tiff_hamburger.
(and espresso.) We're nothing if not self-medicators.

OK, so this picture is REALLY blurry. Sorry for that. I probably should have learned how to take pictures with my new camera *before* I went to Italy. But alas, there was all that wedding planning and pre-marital sex to be having. Left me little time to figure out how to FOCUS a camera, apparently.

This picture, smeary as it is, reminds me what I love about Italy. This was about 11 p.m., and we are drinking espresso and beer on a square, enjoying each other's company, no feeling of hurry, no feeling of shouldn't-we-be-doing-something-productive? I hate that feeling.

That beer was $10, which I also kind of hate. The espresso was probably around $3-$4. The espresso there is worth it--the stuff we drink here just doesn't compare. I don't know what they do differently, but it's frothier, richer, more complex. Ours is just so bland by comparison.

And while the Italians know what they're doing with their wine, I can understand why they don't have much to say about their beer. This beer (Forst) wasn't bad--fresh and crisp, though a little bland--but we had some Moretti, which was a bit like some smelly formaggio in beer form.

Still, I'd pay $14/person all over again to rent out that table on that square, where Jason looked up the word for 'pig' on the pocket translator (under his right hand) so he could write in my journal: Ti amo maiale.

I love you too, pig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home