Sparkle Boat

Friday, August 25, 2006

Leaping in the Rose Garden


In the Rose Garden
Originally uploaded by tiffybex.
Eventually, I'll post photos besides those from my honeymoon, but right now, they're giving me a lot to write about, think about.

Like this one, for example. To me, it represents the rewards of adventure, even if that adventure is a small one. In the Rose Garden below the Piazzale Michelangelo, it began to rain. So Jason and I headed for cover, and found the building you see him standing in front of. It turned out to be a restroom, and since he needed to go, he stood there waiting. I didn't need to pee, so when I saw this little doorway into a faded, glazed over conservatory structure, I decided to take a peek. It looked like just an abandoned part of the building, but when I walked in, there was the most beautiful little grotto, with artfully arranged rocks, lush ferns, dripping springs and a lovely mural of Florence on one of the walls. (I have a photo of this, but it just didn't come out too well.) None of this was visible from the outside, and even though people could see me in there, no one followed me. I guess it wasn't on the list of things "to be seen."

It's the sort of thing you find when you're not really trying to find something. When you're just satisfying curiosity, and a sense of adventure, and then you're presented with the most amazing gifts. I also got a perspective for this photo of Jason that would have otherwise been impossible.

As Joseph Campbell wrote: Leap, and the net will appear. I agree, and add: Leap, and the net will appear, filled with treasure.

True of life, I think, and definitely true in writing. Here's to leaping!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home