Sparkle Boat

Thursday, August 31, 2006

On Windblown Hair and Being Human


Windy at Palazzo Pitti
Originally uploaded by tiffybex.
I've been drawn back to this picture several times, though I'm not sure why. I like it, though it's not like the best picture ever taken, and I'm making a funny smile like I'm afraid my teeth will fall out if I open my lips.

I thought maybe it had to do with the fact that this is the first and probably last time that my hair has been photographed doing that windy, devil-may-care supermodel-in-front-of-a-fan thing, but I don't think that's really it either. (Though I do like the association.)

After thinking about it, it may be that it's one of the least self-conscious moments of my adult life that's been photographed. (At least that I know about. Yikes.) Anyway, I'm the type who freezes up when photographed, who becomes instantly enmeshed in a thought process: Should I tilt my head? Should I show teeth? Should I angle my hips just so?

I have been afraid most of my life of being called out as less than perfect, less than put together. I've wanted to be in control of how I look, what I say, how I present myself. This is not to say that I'm not fun or spontaneous--with the right people, I can be who I am, and let go those issues of control. This is, incidentally, how I knew Jason was the one. Not only did I feel great love and attraction for him, but I also felt instantly like myself when I was around him. Totally accepted.

Anyway, over the last 3 years, I've learned a lot about how to let go, and how to reveal myself to the world and not be afraid of what people will say. This had a lot to do with my MFA program and what I learned about writing.

For the first 3 semesters, I was so conscious of my audience, so painfully aware of their comments that I kept my writing under control. I wrote what I thought was intelligent, impressive, lyrical. And my writing skill was never doubted, really. What was under scrutiny was my ability to connect. To tell a story that became more than pretty words. To tell a story that was in and of itself a distillation of the experience of being human. I've come a long way, and while I still catch myself holding back sometimes, I'm much more able to be vulnerable--to be sick and hopeful, ugly and redeemed--to give myself over to the world and not be afraid to live in it.

I like this picture because I am in it. Of course, the windblown hair doesn't hurt either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home